Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Facepalms-n-Eye Rolls All 'Round

One of the many reasons Hubs and I decided to move from Charleston, SC to Nashville, TN was that the, ummm... accepted social practices of the, ummm... older established communities were, ummm... antiquated.  Parts of that state haven't seen the light of anything since 1842 and we weren't all that comfortable exposing our children to that sort of thinking.
That being said, there are parts of Charleston that will live in my heart forever as wonderful happy places. We met fantastic folks, ate mind-blowing food, and were toasted brown by the time we left (not to mention just toasted).  But I digress...
Now, Hubs and I realize that Stupid (with a capital "S") is not regional.  It knows no geographic boundaries, which is why I was not so much surprised as saddened by the hot-load that showed up on the news last night...  

Retired Professor Running For VP on Controversial Platform - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

Meet Virginia Abernethy... hey ya... meet Virginia.  I can wait to....

Seriously?  There are so many facepalms-n-eye rolls on this for me I don't even know where to start.  In fact, my eyes may actually get stuck in the back of my head and I know my nose will be hella bruised... but I have to do this...

1.  In this day and age.... really?
2.  Way to make Nashville look racist and backwards... again.
3.  "European American" - You wanna dance with words, lady?  Okay, well, hows about the fact that all those white people you are trying to try up in a neat little word package may not have originated from Europe?  Apparently Russia (you know, the GIANT COUNTRY TO EUROPE'S RIGHT ON THE MAP THAT IS FULL OF WHITE PEOPLE) doesn't count.  Try calling a Russian a European and see what happens....
4.  Most "European Americans" are not "pure-blooded" anything thanks to a convoluted and sometimes ugly history.  
5.  What are you again?  A professor... of what?  Oh, Anthropology?  Then you should be well aware of the fact that we all came from Africa (unless you cotton to the Multiregional Hypothesis, in which case, migration and early interbreeding have us all as a mixed bag anyway). 
6.  Since the first permanent  "European American"  settlement didn't happen until 1565 (The Spanish at St. Augustine), we could still be considered an Exotic Invasive, and therefore a Non-Native species.  You know, like Kudzu.
7.  Gah!  Why must you make it suck for those of us who ARE really proud of our heritage that just happens to be mostly from Northern Europe?  And NOT because most of my ancestors were melanin-deficient... it's because there were castles, and sword fights, and dragons (there were TOTALLY dragons).  It just makes me want to go all Viking on ya....
8.  Nut up or shut up, woman, and call a spade a spade.... or a white supremacist a white supremacist   "Ethnic Separatist" (insert disgusted noise that involves a raspberry) ... Coward!  We all know you've got a white hood in your closet!  Quit being weak and own your stupidity   This is America... you are allowed to have an opinion... allbit a bad one.  It happens all the time.  I mean, just take a look at the Tea Party.  A walking, taking bunch 'o' warmongering silly.  (to any buddies I have who are members or supporters of aforementioned party please remember... I love you for reasons other than your political affiliations and I am totally for your believing what you believe.  But I am still going to give you a facepalm.  Feel free to give me one in return.)
9.  She says she is "speaking" (I call it mouth-diarrhea) for those who are too afraid to speak up.  Like, all those old white dudes busy making money by standing on the backs of the minimum wage earners?  They must be too busy making money to give their opinions.  Yeah... soooo busy.  (And btw, go look in the back of your favorite restaurant and tell me what you see.  Not at the front of the back, where the servers and the hostesses hang out, but in the hot, sweaty back. Yeah... Oh. )
10.  I am so mad at this point, all I can do is spit expletives, but you get the picture.

As you know, a rant may be finished.... but it is never over.  :)  I am starting to think Natural Selection may have slipped up on this one...

No comments:

Post a Comment